Monday, March 29, 2010

Bienvenue a CANADA!

Wow, I can't believe how much I missed Canadians in the last two weeks that I've been gone. Canadians are some of the best people ever, and it always takes me going away to have to realize it, but Canadians are the nicest people I know, and I really, really missed that! I find that I did not miss those people who probably should just think their comments through before verbalizing them... Our last flight ended with some turbulence, and as we began our descent, one of the flight attendants came on the PA system advising (as they always do) that everyone should have their seat belts fastened, and that everyone should take note of where the emergency exits were. Gotta say, that is the most unnerving thing I felt, well, at least in this second last leg of our journey. Leaving the Conakry airport was an experience in itself... On our way out, someone speaking a lot of French at me (not TO me), was going to search my bag, until she saw on my passport that I was Canadian, and thought that instead I should just give her some money to prevent her from checking it. When I told her I had no money, she stared at me, perhaps thinking that I might change my mind, but when I didn't, she let me go. Really my fellow Canadians, I have missed you!!! We have been travelling for about 25 hours now, and are in the Calgary airport awaiting our 8:00 flight home to Regina.

I mocked my parents mercilessly when they came back from Uganda as they were always wrapped up in sleeping bags because they were so cold. I can totally understand that now- we spent the last week in 35 C+ weather, and coming back to 15 is a little shock to the system. I'm seriously regretting my decision to wear shorts on the plane...

We will be back in Regina just after 9:00 PM tonight, hopefully with all of our baggage in tow. We had to go through customs here, and transfer our baggage after that, so we know that it has at least all made it to Calgary. I just have to keep reminding myself that I trust Air Canada, I trust Air Canada, I trust Air Canada... *siiiiigggghhhh*

No comments:

Post a Comment