Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Humble Pie

I have been doing a lot of thinking over the past 24 hours, and have allowed a thought to go from my head to my heart.

As I type this, I sit in a hotel room over looking the Mediterranean Sea- the very means by which Paul made his first missional journey to Turkey. He landed at Attalia, which is modern day Antalya, where we landed as well. I find myself wondering, is there a reason that I am here at this time in my life? Is this the beginning of my missional journey?

Over the course of my 25 years, I have learned that I absolutely love the book of Acts, as it describes for us some amazing examples of what we can strive for our churches to look like, and examples of being bold in our faith. To know that I am within hundreds of miles of the sites that Paul visited along his journey in the book of Acts amazes me. To know that I may find myself walking the same path as Paul did absolutely astounds me. Tomorrow we go to Perge, which was Perga in Acts 13. I don't know what to expect there, but I feel it will be an amazing day of learning and quiet reflection on my own journey.

Another thing that has struck me came from a conversation with some International Workers we met. Recently, a number of other IWs in their area were removed from the country when the government learned of their religious agendas. The couple we spoke to were quite sure that their phones are tapped, and their email is monitored, and the government is just waiting for a reason to get rid of them. I realize that I have no idea what persecution really is. I have never been thrown in jail for what I believe, as Peter was. I have never been stoned, dragged out of a city and left for dead as Paul was. All that to say- do I live my life in such a way that people would even persecute me? Let me clarify- can people tell by how I live my life what I believe and that I'm not ashamed of it? Do I live in such a way that I am persecutable?

In my head tumbles a conflict or two...

One of the other IWs who spoke said he once heard a speaker say that North America is one of the most grossly over-staffed continents in the world. Are we up for a transfer?

2 comments:

  1. We do love our managers, supervisors, VP's and CEO's all doing nothing but making a few people assemble widgets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting Court about the same thoughts going through many liked minds here. What is our purpose and our reason for being? Good blog!

    ReplyDelete